We are searching data for your request:
Upon completion, a link will appear to access the found materials.
- Dish type
This is a fantastic bake, which is perfect for breakfast or brunch. Bread cubes are drizzled with butter, sprinkled with cheese, soaked in an eggy custard and baked to perfection.
23 people made this
- 225g French bread, cut into 2.5cm cubes
- 50g butter, melted
- 115g Gruyere cheese, grated
- 115g Cheddar cheese, grated
- 275g diced cooked ham
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 350ml milk
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste
- 175ml soured cream
- 25g grated Parmesan cheese
MethodPrep:30min ›Cook:1hr15min ›Extra time:8hr chilling › Ready in:9hr45min
- Arrange bread in the bottom of a lightly greased medium baking dish and drizzle with butter. Top with Gruyere cheese, Cheddar cheese and ham.
- In a medium bowl, blend eggs, milk and mustard. Season with salt and pepper. Pour into the baking dish. Cover and refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Preheat oven to 170 C / Gas 3. Blend soured cream and Parmesan cheese in a small bowl and set aside.
- Bake the layered mixture 1 hour in the preheated oven.
- Spread soured cream mixture over the surface of the baked dish and continue cooking about 10 minutes, until surface is lightly browned. Allow to sit about 15 minutes before serving.
Reviews & ratingsAverage global rating:(20)
Reviews in English (14)
This casserole was really dry. I followed the recipe exactly. Flavor was okay. The topping was not very attractive, if you are into presentation. Will not make again.-05 Oct 2003
EXCELLENT AND EASY~!I made this recipe for our Mother's Day brunch. I didn't realize that I was supposed to refrigerate it for 8+ hours and was really worried it'd be a bust. It was such a hit that I even printed up recipes for our guests!The only changes I made is that I used 6 pieces of turkey bacon crumbled instead of ham; and an Italian blend of grated cheeses that included asiago, romano, parmesan, and provolone.thanks for the recipe!brendam-11 May 2008
This is a great throw together dish. We like to use english muffins instead of the french bread when we make this for breakfast. I have also made this dish for dinner and added spinach, broccoli,and mushrooms. It was also good with chorizo (instead of the ham) with green pepper and onion. I use reduced fat cheese and sour cream and it still turns out delicious.-25 Jul 2008